Sunday 30 October 2011

Macbeth Soliloquy Translation, Act Three Scene One.

Scene:
MACBETH  
To be thus is nothing;
 But to be safely thus. Our fears in Banquo
Stick deep; and in his royalty of nature
Reigns that which would be fear'd: 'tis much he dares;
And, to that dauntless temper of his mind,
He hath a wisdom that doth guide his valour
To act in safety. There is none but he
Whose being I do fear: and, under him,
My Genius is rebuked; as, it is said,
Mark Antony's was by Caesar. He chid the sisters
When first they put the name of king upon me,
And bade them speak to him: then prophet-like
They hail'd him father to a line of kings:
Upon my head they placed a fruitless crown,
And put a barren sceptre in my gripe,
Thence to be wrench'd with an unlineal hand,
No son of mine succeeding. If 't be so,
For Banquo's issue have I filed my mind;
For them the gracious Duncan have I murder'd;
Put rancours in the vessel of my peace
Only for them; and mine eternal jewel
Given to the common enemy of man,
To make them kings, the seed of Banquo kings!
Rather than so, come fate into the list,
And champion me to th' utterance. 

Translation: 
To be King is nothing,
if I am not safe has the king. My fears of Banquo 
are deep, and his noble nature 
is my fear of him. He takes many risks, 
and his fearless mind is always working. 
He has a wisdom that guides him bravely
and safely. There is no one
I fear more then Banquo. And with him
my Guardian Angel is scared, as it is said 
Mark Antony's angel was with Caesar. Banquo disapproved of the Witches
when they first called me King, 
but begged them to tell him his own future. Then, prophet-like, 
they hailed him Father to a line of kings.
On my head they placed an empty crown, 
and put a scepter in my hand, 
that will be snatched away by a descent not of mine,
no son of mine succeeding. If this is true, 
for Banquo's sake I have tortured my mind, 
for his son's I have murdered the gracious Duncan.
I have ruined my own peace
only for them, and my everlasting soul 
I have given to the Devil
to make them king, the son's of Banquo King. 
Rather then watch this happen, I challenge fate to battle
and fight to the death.    

No comments:

Post a Comment