Tuesday 18 October 2011

Macbeth Soliloquy Translation, Act 1 Scene Three


Scene: 
MACBETH
(aside)  Two truths are told,
As happy prologues to the swelling act
Of the imperial theme.

(aside) This supernatural soliciting
Cannot be ill, cannot be good. If ill,  
Why hath it given me earnest of success,
 Commencing in a truth? I am thane of Cawdor.
 If good, why do I yield to that suggestion
Whose horrid image doth unfix my hair
And make my seated heart knock at my ribs,
Against the use of nature? Present fears
Are less than horrible imaginings.
My thought, whose murder yet is but fantastical,
Shakes so my single state of man
That function is smothered in surmise,
And nothing is but what is not.

MACBETH
(aside) If chance will have me king, why, chance may crown me 
  Without my stir.

MACBETH
(aside)      Come what come may,
Time and the hour runs through the roughest day.

Translation:
MACBETH
(aside) The two of the truths the Witches told me have come true,
these acts will end in me becoming King.  

(aside) This supernatural temptation  
cannot be a bad thing, and cannot be a good thing.If it is a bad thing,   
why am I promise of honest success   
that has ended up being true? I am the Thane of Cawdor now.
If this is a good thing, why am I thinking about murdering the King. 
A image so awful that it makes my hair stand on end 
And my heart pound inside my ribs?
   The dangers that are actually threatening me  
are less horrible things then what I am imagining  
My thought, is only fantasy so far,  
the thought shakes my knowledge of who I am  
The thought is smothered in truthful assumptions,  
and nothing is important except what is not true.

MACBETH 
(aside) If fate wants me to be king then fate will crown me without me 
having to do a thing.

MACBETH 
(aside) What is going to come, 
will come no matter what happens.     




No comments:

Post a Comment