Monday 24 October 2011

Macbeth Soliloquy Translation, Act Two Scene One.

Scene:
BANQUO
How goes the night, boy?

FLEANCE
The moon is down; I have not heard the clock.

BANQUO
And she goes down at twelve.

FLEANCE
I take't, 'tis later, sir.

BANQUO
Hold, take my sword. There's husbandry in heaven;
Their candles are all out. Take thee that too.
A heavy summons lies like lead upon me,
And yet I would not sleep: merciful powers,
Restrain in me the cursed thoughts that nature
Gives way to in repose! Give me my sword.
Who's there?

MACBETH
A friend.

BANQUO
What, sir, not yet at rest? The king's a-bed:
He hath been in unusual pleasure, and
Sent forth great largess to your offices.
This diamond he greets your wife withal,
By the name of most kind hostess; and shut up
In measureless content.

MACBETH
Being unprepared
Our will became the servant to defect
Which else should free have wrought.

BANQUO
All's well.
I dreamt last night of the three weird sisters:
To you they have show'd some truth.

MACBETH
I think not of them:
Yet, when we can entreat an hour to serve,
We would spend it in some words upon that business,
If you would grant the time.

BANQUO
At your kind'st leisure.

MACBETH
If you shall cleave to my consent, when 'tis,
It shall make honour for you.

BANQUO
So I lose none
In seeking to augment it, but still keep
My bosom franchised and allegiance clear,
I shall be counsell'd.

MACBETH
Good repose the while!

BANQUO
Thanks, sir: the like to you! 30

MACBETH
Go bid thy mistress, when my drink is ready,
She strike upon the bell. Get thee to bed.
Is this a dagger which I see before me,
The handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee.
I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.

Art thou not, fatal vision, sensible
To feeling as to sight? or art thou but
A dagger of the mind, a false creation,
Proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain?
I see thee yet, in form as palpable   
As this which now I draw.
Thou marshall'st me the way that I was going;
And such an instrument I was to use.
Mine eyes are made the fools o' the other senses,
Or else worth all the rest; I see thee still,
And on thy blade and dudgeon gouts of blood,
Which was not so before. There's no such thing:
It is the bloody business which informs
Thus to mine eyes. Now o'er the one halfworld
Nature seems dead, and wicked dreams abuse  
The curtain'd sleep; witchcraft celebrates
Pale Hecate's offerings, and wither'd murder,
Alarum'd by his sentinel, the wolf,
Whose howl's his watch, thus with his stealthy pace.
With Tarquin's ravishing strides, towards his design
Moves like a ghost. Thou sure and firm-set earth,
Hear not my steps, which way they walk, for fear
Thy very stones prate of my whereabout,
And take the present horror from the time,
Which now suits with it. Whiles I threat, he lives:   
Words to the heat of deeds too cold breath gives.
  
I go, and it is done; the bell invites me.  
Hear it not, Duncan; for it is a knell
That summons thee to heaven or to hell.

Translation:
BANQUO
How is the night, son?

FLEANCE
The moon is set, and I have not heard the clock ring.

BANQUO
And the moon sets at twelve.

FLEANCE
I think it is later, sir.

BANQUO
Here, take my sword, the heavens are being reluctant
with their light. Take this to.
I'm tired and am feeling heavy,
but can't sleep. Merciful powers,
stop my nightmares that
keep me from sleeping. Give me my sword.
Who's there?

MACBETH
A friend.

BANQUO
Your not sleeping yet Sir? The Kings sleeping
he has been in a unusually good mood today, and
has given your household many gifts.
This diamond is a gift from your Majesty
to your wife for her never-ending hospitality.

MACBETH
Being unprepared for his visit
we were not able to entertain him
as well as we would have hoped to.

BANQUO
All is well.
to you they given you some truth.

MACBETH
I do not think of them.
But when you have an hour to spare
we can talk about them,
if you would like.

BANQUO
Whenever is best.

MACBETH
If you continue to follow me loyally, when it is
time you will be rewarded.

BANQUO
As long as I can do so without losing anything
and still keep and keeping a clear conscience
I will be your loyal servant.  

MACBETH
Sleep well.

BANQUO
Thanks sir, the same to you.

MACBETH
Go tell your mistress to ring the bell when
my drink is ready. Get to bed now.
Is this a dagger that I see in front of me,  
pointing at my hand? Come, let me hold you.  
I don't have you, yet I still see you.  
Is it possible, fatal vision, to touch  
you as well as see you? Or are you but  
a dagger my mind created, a non-existent  
image from my fevered brain?  
I see you yet, you look as real as a  
dagger I can pull out now.  
You are leading me to the place I was already going,  
and the same instrument I was going to use.  
My eyes must not be working, or they are 
the only part of my body that is working. I see you still,  
and the blood on your blade which  
was not there before. There is no blade here.  
It is the murder that is making my eyes  
see these things? Now half the world is  
asleep, and being deceived by evil nightmares. 
Witches celebrate offerings to Hecate,  
and old man murder, roused by the howls of his wolf.  
Who howls to announce his watch, then with his stealthy pace  
like Tarquin, as quiet as a ghost. Hard ground,  
don't hear my footsteps, or the direction of them. For fear  
that the stone ground will echo where I am,  
and take the stillness from the moment,  
something that is so suitable for what I am about to do.  
While I talk, the King lives.  
The more I talk the less courage I have.  

I am going, and it is as good has done. The bell is inviting me.  
Do not hear it ring Duncan, for it is a  
summons or you to heaven or hell.  

Here is a link to an awesome Macbeth soliloquy for this scene. Enjoy! 



No comments:

Post a Comment